Why We Exist
The PMAWM was founded to:
- Protect the industry from bad legislation.
- Create networking opportunities and build relationships between members and suppliers who support the industry.
- Offer award winning educational courses customized for the apartment industry.
Our association has become increasingly involved in the State Legislative process in Lansing through its alliance with the Property Management Association of Michigan (PMAM) and our state lobbying firm, Kelley Cawthorne.
PMAM and PMAWM's Legislative Committees continuously advocate and promote the multifamily housing industry at the federal, state and local level. Monitoring legislation within West Michigan's charter region and beyond. The PMAWM strives to build healthy relationships with public officials, and, through consistent contact, educate them on issues that impact the multifamily housing industry.
Our legislative initiatives are accomplished through:
- Lobbying and educating public officials on a local, state and federal level.
- Supporting state and national candidates that understand the industry.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with public officials and like-minded groups.
- Obtaining feedback about industry wide issues from members
- Holding educational seminars and updating members on changes to the law.
Important Legislative Events
- NAA's Capitol Conference and Advocacy Day: Held annually in March - Washington, D.C.
- PMAM (State) Capitol Day: Held annually in either February or May
- PMAWM Legislative Receptions: Held throughout the year, throughout our territory from Northern MI to GR and Kalamazoo
An educated and well trained staff will help to ensure success at your communities and help in both employee and resident retention.
The PMAWM offers its members a variety of educational opportunities throughout the year as part of its commitment to advancing the apartment industry. Educational offerings include maintenance training, leasing, fair housing, affordable housing series, continuing education programs for real estate licensees geared towards the apartment industry, management training and more.
In addition to various seminars and workshops, the PMAWM offers the following in-class National Apartment Association Education Institute (NAAEI) designations:
- Certified Apartment Portfolio Supervisor (CAPS)
- Certified Apartment Manager (CAM)
- Certified Apartment Leasing Professional (CALP)
- Certified Apartment Maintenance Technicians (CAMT)
- Certified Apartment Supplier (CAS)
Education is critical in expanding and improving the industry. PMAWM's education program was designed and organized by its Education Committee.
The growth and development of people is the highest calling of leadership.
- Harvey S. Firestone
The PMAWM is dedicated to making a significant difference in the communities in which it serves. In addition to our ongoing support and fundraising efforts for the American Red Cross (ARC), Hope Network and Safe Haven just to name a few. The PMA of West Michigan plans to DO MORE in 2022 and beyond. We are currently seeking additional programs and outreach projects in which we partner with our members to make a difference in our cities, towns and communities.
We encourage our members to support the American Red Cross and their disaster relief efforts throughout the year. Remember, $25 buys five fire blankets. Wow!
SOCIAL NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES
The PMAWM has an extensive calendar of activities, meetings and social gatherings which are designed to provide members an opportunity to build business and personal relationships. Most of all we want our members to connect and network with other professionals in the field. These relationships result in high standards of doing business and promote the multifamily housing industry as a whole.
Examples of PMAWM social events:
- Annual Trade Show & Education Conference (March)
- Annual Golf Outing (July)
- Membership & More Meetings (annual meetings held quarterly)
And so much more!